Monday, April 17, 2006

In the unlikely event of an emergency over water...

We drive long distances, we live in busy cities, we walk around at night, we fly all over the world... The reality is that we do not live in a particularly safe world. I always knew that, but (possibly due to my naïveté and belief that we were all invincible) I never gave much thought to how the whole safety issue. That said, I am much more safety conscious now that I am a parent.

I thought that I was pretty much covered since we bought the usual things, such as a car seat, baby monitor and a bunch of child proofing products. But after talking to a friend of mine, I realized that there was at least one more crucial thing we needed to do: We needed to organize our emergency contact information. After all, what if something happened to my husband and the hospital was trying to reach me. The hospital would have to root through his wallet in hopes of finding the proper phone numbers, etc. I don’t even know if my husband has anything in his wallet with our home number on it.

So, to make a long story short, we came across an organization called Emergency Contacts. Their mission is to make it easy and convenient for people to ensure everyone in the family carries enough information to ensure fast communication in the event of an emergency. Emergency Contact offers annual family memberships for $34.95. The memberships include:

1. A complete family ID kit
2. A 24/7 emergency call center
3. Secure and convenient online member account access

The ID kit is different from any other type of personal identification. It doesn’t have personal, private information about you, your family or your emergency contacts, rather your information is stored on an encrypted database so it remains secure and private. This means that your profile is never accessed by anyone except our emergency agents and only in the event of any emergency.

I know it’s not pleasant to think about the worst-case scenarios in life, but now that you are a parent you really should think seriously about the type of contact information your family carries. The Emergency Contacts membership is good because everything is already organized for you. It’s affordable and hassle-free. For more information check out www.emergencycontacts.com